Thursday, January 21, 2010

Redeemed by Love: The Story of Ruth

1 Cor 13:4-8, Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Good Afternoon,

Today I would like to encourage us to focus on God’s love. Although our bad situations may seem to be getting the best of us, I would like to remind us to be strong and allow God to work on our behalf. This message is to show us that God's love for us will redeem us!

As we look at the book of Ruth, we will see that it starts out with what I consider a bad situation. You have three women widowed because their husband’s have died. As we read the story we find out that they all have situations that were getting the best of them. We can all relate to having bad or tough situations.

The oldest of the three, Naomi, chose to return home to her native land and leave the two younger women in Moab. The women decided to journey with her, until she persuades at least one of them to stay in Moab. Ruth decides to travel the journey with her. Ruth becomes aware of Naomi’s God and wanted a chance at something new. Ruth leaves behind her past and steps forward into her future. On yesterday I challenged us all to step out into something new.

Where are you today with your relationship with others? Are you stuck in your past afraid to proceed forward in a new direction? Is there a Naomi in your life that can serve as a mentor to help you get to wherever it is that God needs you to be? Do you have a hardened heart because of past hurt or pain?

As Ruth journeys to Bethlehem, this would be the start of God’s process to redeem her through His love for her. Although Ruth’s life didn’t seem like much in the beginning, we found out in the end that because she was willing to step out on faith and experience God’s love, she is redeemed by Boaz. Ruth left Moab a place that meant her no good and entered Bethlehem a place that would change her life forever.

Where is the place that God has been trying to lead you out of? Have you asked God about His direction for your life? How much longer will we allow ourselves to suffer, when we know He wants the best for us? When will we give in and wholeheartedly experience His love. It’s time we leave our Moab and journey to our Bethlehem.

The book of Ruth is only four chapters long, but there is a vital message in the story about love and how God’s love can bless our loves by redeeming us. In the end of the book we find Ruth married to Boaz, with a newborn son Obed and in the lineage of Christ. In this story we can see a picture that displays Christ’s redemptive power. When Ruth follows her mother-in-law she takes steps of faith and courage in seeking out a new path in serving God. Ruth was a women changed to operate off of God’s love. Ruth served from the heart and favor in the eyes of her redeemer. Are you ready to be redeemed?

Today I want you to know that God has a place for you in His plan. I want you to know that your situation will and can turnaround. I want you to realize that despite what has happened in the beginning of your journey, if you trust in God, He will make a way. His love is truly the greatest gift of all! Today I encourage you to step out on faith as Ruth did and press forward in being redeemed! God is ready to redeem you too!

Blessings,
Tennille L. Whittington

Prayer for Today

As I read this Lord I ask that You place me on pause, Lord I ask that You allow me to reflect back over my journey and connect with all the places I no longer wish to be, Lord highlight the places of Moab in my life and lead me in stepping forward into my Bethlehem, Lord I put my trust in You today, Lord I trust You will redeem me too, Lord today I align myself according to Your will and way for my life, Lord no longer will allow fear being loved or fear loving someone, Lord I ask that You keep me encouraged and protected as I journey out and I praise You in advance for redeeming me! In Jesus name, Amen!

1 comment: